Car accidents can wreak havoc on an otherwise peaceful day. Even if they’re minor, they can often create confusion. You might ask yourself, how should I react? What should I do?
Leading car insurer Progressive offers these simple steps to follow after an accident:
- Stay calm. Keeping a calm demeanor helps you stay in control of the situation.
- Make sure you and your passengers are OK. Move as far off the roadway as possible but stay at the scene of the accident. Warn oncoming traffic by activating your hazard warning lights and/or setting flares if you have them.
- Call the police. Call 911 or the appropriate emergency number to report the accident.
- Contact your insurance company and report the claim. The sooner your insurance company knows about the accident, the sooner it can start working to resolve your claim.
- Do not admit fault. To protect yourself legally, do not discuss the car accident with anyone other than the police and your insurance company.
- Exchange vital information with the other driver involved in the car accident.
Write down the name, address, phone number and license numbers of all drivers and witnesses, particularly those who were riding in a vehicle involved in the accident. Ask for the name of the insurer and policy number all drivers involved in the car accident.
Before you get into an accident, talk to an independent insurance agent to make sure you have the right insurance. Because the last thing you want to do when you’re in a car accident is worry about having to pay for the damage.